Drakelow Tunnels are a former Top Secret underground military complex beneath Kingsford Country Park, north of Kidderminster, Worcestershire.
The tunnels were built between 1941-1942 as a Shadow Factory for the Rover car company.
Parts for aircraft engines were machined in the 3.5 miles of tunnels throughout WWII.
After WWII the tunnels began producing parts for tank engines until 1958, when the tunnels were handed over to the Ministry of Supply, and later Ministry of Works.
In 1961 the British Government converted half of the tunnels into a top secret facility, designated: Regional Seat of Goverment 9 (R.S.G. 9).
Drakelow, along with 12 other facilities scattered across the U.K. formed a national network of highly classified Nuclear Bunkers, that the British Goverment would operate the country from, in the event of Nuclear War.
In 1980, Drakelow was re-designated: Regional Government Headquarters 9.2 (R.G.H.Q. 9.2). The tunnels were also upgraded and Blast Doors and Air Locks installed to bring the complex up to full Nuclear Bunker status.
Throughout the 1980's Drakelow operated under complete secrecy until the end of the Cold War in 1990.
In 1993, the Ministry of Defense deemed the facility surplus to requirements, and the entire complex was decommissioned and sold.
Since 1993, the Drakelow Tunnels Preservation Trust, have been restoring the entire complex to its original condition to become the largest Cold War Museum in the UK. It also the largest underground spaces in the UK open to the general public.
GHOSTS OF DRAKELOW
One evening in late 1993, the caretaker was inspecting the kitchen in the old RSG side of the complex when he began to hear faint 1940's music, it seemed to be coming from the old Rover Shadow Factory side. The music began to get louder, as he stepped out into Tunnel 1, the music suddenly stopped.
He walked the length of Tunnel 1 to see if he could find the radio, but nothing was found.
Upon reaching the old time office at the end of Tunnel 1 the music started again. The caretaker now determined to find the mysterious radio, continued his search, this quick inspection then turned into a 6 hour search of the entire complex, but no radio was found.
The only piece of equipment that was capable of playing music, was the old WWII tannoy system that had not worked since the 1950's.
Another strange event occurred late one evening in the winter of 1996.
Whilst on his usual rounds, the resident caretaker and his two German Shepherd were locking the complex down, all was as usual, until they reached the RGHQ. The caretaker was securing the GPO Telephone exchange whilst his dogs wandered into the next room. Suddenly the dogs began barking frantically as if an intruder had been discovered. The dogs were sat fixated on the wall still barking manically. The caretaker eventually calmed the dogs down and put them back on their leads, and continued with his round.
As they stepped into Tunnel 4, the dogs stopped dead in their tracks and began growling, they stood transfixed on something at the top of the tunnel, following their gaze the caretaker focused on what the dogs were looking at, but could not see anything?. As he stood back up the dogs fell silent, the caretaker glanced up and couldn’t believe his eyes, a mist was now present at the top of Tunnel 4 and was slowly floating down the tunnel.
The caretaker returned with his dogs a few days later but as soon as they approached the entrance they began whimpering and refused to enter the complex.