STIWT THEATRE

RHOS, WREXHAM

The Stiwt Theatre. Formerly the “Miner’s Institute” (Plas Mwynwyr), which was built in 1926 and dominated the social and cultural life of the village until 1977 when it closed. The local council, which had purchased the building in 1978, decided to demolish the building in 1985, but it was saved as a result of local campaigning. Following fundraising efforts, it was renovated and reopened as a community theatre. 

The Early Years

Theatre​ Stiwt first opened its doors on 25th September 1926 and true to the vision of its founders it was to dominate the social and cultural life of the local community for decades. It provided not only a theatre in Wrexham but also a concert hall, cinema, games rooms, public library and multi-function rooms all of which provided an escape from the harsh realities of life in the Great Depression.

The theatre was built by the community for the community by the Miners Welfare Organisation who levied 1p a ton on extracted coal in the harsh years of the depression between 1924-26 at a cost of almost £18,000. It was supported and run on a daily basis by subscription of 2 pence per week from the meagre wages of hard working miners who managed to raise another £20,000.

Decline and re-birth 1976 to 1999

Sadly, Theatre​ Stiwt entered a period of decline during the 1970s which eventually led to its closure in 1977. Falling into disrepair, the grand old building that had once stood proud as testament to the spirit of a close-knit mining community was considered for demolition in 1985 due to its condition, made worse by dry rot and ingress of rainwater through its vandalised roof.

The potential permanent loss of the theatre became the subject of several committees set up to raise funding for restoration from the early 1980’s which resulted in the eventual formation of the Stiwt Arts & Leisure Committee in 1988. It was this committee who took on the onerous task of not only raising sufficient capital funding but also the practicalities of organising a band of dedicated volunteers to chip away at the contaminated plaster and woodwork to rid the structure of rot and worn out fittings all within the constraints applied to a listed building.

On 28th October 2017 The Stiwt opens its doors, and it's secrets to Past Life Paranormal. 
You're invited to join us. £25pp 8pm-2am.
Be part of the team for the night, as we aim to make contact with the spirits of this remarkable building.